Saturday, March 7, 2015

WHICH IS THE SMARTER SEX? WOMEN OR MEN?

Well, Yeah, I suppose I am opening a can of worms so to speak with the above question. Of course, in so called reality(if  there is such a thing) that is really a pretty dumb question. After all, I'm sure each of us will have our own opinion based on what we have seen over our lifetime. Intelligence is only something we claim we have or don't have. And the same for everyone else. Personally, I would not touch that subject for all the money in the world. So why you may ask is it that I have decided to write about it in the first place. Really I just wanted to share this experience with you because I found it to be a bit on the funny side of life. And humor plays such an important part in our lives I thought you may enjoy this story. The other day we here in Western Kentucky woke up to as much as 14 inches of snow that had fell over night. I measured 11 inches on our front lawn. Since the snow was so deep I knew I would have to shovel it from the drive before I could even get the truck out of the garage. so after breakfast I layered up the clothes, hitched up the boots, and opened the garage door to get started. After some shoveling and heavy lifting I had to stop and take a rest. I looked out to where my wife keeps the bird feeder and noticed it was empty. So I filled it up, hung it back on the stand in the garden and waited. It didn't take very long before the first bird arrived at the new buffet. She was a female cardinal( the cardinal is the state bird of Kentucky) and she took a seat below the feeder. Before she could hop up to taste the seeds I had put out, A male cardinal swooped down and sat just to the right of the female. Neither one made a move to the top of the feeder. I was wondering why they just continued to look at each other instead of eating. Was the male being a "gentleman" and waiting for the lady to go first? Probably not I thought. A few seconds later I saw another bright red male cardinal come swooping down and landing fairly close to the other two birds. In an instant I saw the males looking at each other and the female was glancing at both of the males. After sizing up the situation the male bird which had been the last to arrive suddenly attacked the other male. They flew up in the air struggling and then one started chasing after the other. The female, who had remained perched below the feeder, watched as the males flew off and then she hopped up and began feasting on the bird seed. It was then that I said to myself:  "Just like us dumb males to fight like two idiots while the female snickered and got the best of the buffet. The 2 males did come back and eventually I saw them getting a few seeds. Soon that birdfeeder looked like the main attraction at the zoo! Little birds, big birds, colorful birds and yes, even a dumb male bird! Well, in this case I'd have to say that the female species wins the title of smartest. No offense guys, but you probably would have to admit that we ain't the sharpest most of the time. And especially when it comes to us going after the females! But hang in there my male friends, there may be hope for us some day! I sure hope all of you are feeling great and enjoying this very moment! Remember, this is the only thing you have, this very moment. The other stuff will be only temporary. If you can do something nice for someone right now, that will be something that will last forever!

2 comments:

christopherdossantos3@gmail.com said...

Namaste Ron, you sure have posited a loaded question. One I wouldn't want to touch with a barge pole.

Relative to your observation of the birds. It got me to thinking how wonderful it is to just sit back and enjoy nature.

Thanks for sharing Ron, I enjoyed the recount of the smart little feathered friends very much.

In Lak' ech, prosper with love.... living peacefully...

captron52 said...

Hey Christopher Sitting back and just observing nature has gone along way in helping me to see things in a new light. I am glad you liked the story. In the past I wrote several stories with nature as the center point. Maybe one day I will dig out those old SOM magazines and reread the ones I had published. They were my earlier writings so maybe one day I will post them on here. Thanks for stopping by and as usual your words of encouragement!